Students must apply for the Bright Futures Scholarships by submitting the Florida Financial Aid Application (FFAA) no later than August 31, after high school graduation. If a student does not apply for the scholarship by the deadline, they forfeit all future eligibility for a Bright Futures Scholarship!
Guidance Office personnel submit the necessary transcript information to the Florida Department of Education for any student who may be eligible for the Bright Futures Scholarships. Students are periodically given information regarding this award and are encouraged to maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in their academic subjects. Specific requirements for this program are listed below:
|Academic Criteria||Curriculum||Test Scores||Community Service|
|Florida Academic Scholars Non-Curriculum Evaluation||National Merit Finalist or Achievement Program Finalist||N/A||N/A||100 Hours|
|Academic Scholars Curriculum Evaluation||3.5 weighted* GPA||16 college prep. credits**||1290 SAT or 29 ACT||100 Hours|
|Florida Medallion Scholars||3.0 weighted* GPA||16 college prep. credits**||1170 SAT or 26 ACT||75 Hours|
Please refer to the Bright Future’s website for award amounts.
* one-half point per Honors/AP course (as recognized by the State of Florida) in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies (not world language)
** College prep credits:
4 English (with substantial writing requirements)
4 Mathematics (Algebra 1 and above)
3 Natural Science (2 units of which include substantial laboratory requirements)
3 Social Science (any)
2 World Language (same language)
GPA calculated on highest semester grades in required 16 courses.
- May include up to two additional academic units to raise GPA and AP Art
- May include 8th grade Algebra 1 or world language to improve GPA
- Scholarship may be used at a Florida public or private college/university. Amount calculated at public rate.
- A 7th semester evaluation will be completed in January, 2016. Students who meet all eligibility requirements at this time will receive early notification of this scholarship. Students ineligible at end of 7th semester will automatically be reevaluated after high school graduation. Students who qualify for an award at 7th semester evaluation, but meet additional requirements for a higher award by the end of senior year will be reevaluated and awarded higher amount.
Toll-free hotline: 1-888-827-2004